The board, the notation is not compatible with all themes

This is the place to post bug reports for the DHTML Chess plugin for WordPress
Idochesswork

The board, the notation is not compatible with all themes

Post by Idochesswork » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi Alf,

I've try to test the plugin with Newspaper themes, by tagdiv, and figure out that the board was not showing correctly. Maybe it nwould occur to some other themes as well, so I think it's need to report to you.
Please have a look to this link:

In the notation panel, the pieces figurine is not showing in the sameline with the square's name. And when I try to use the keyboard button to move backward and forward, the pieces on chess board didn't show it movement correctly.
By the way, I think that you can use chessfont to overide the pieces figurines in chess notation. Please also have a look on the font FigurineSymbol T1 and FigurineSymbol S1 on this site: http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/fonteng.htm.
There are two versions of the font: one based on Times New Roman and one on Swiss/Arial/sans serif, but the characters for king (K), queen (Q), rook (R), bishop (B) and knight (N) are replaced by chess pieces/figurines. You just select the game text, change the font and voilà - the game is written with figurine notation.
Best regards
Tuan Long
Last edited by Idochesswork on Wed May 10, 2017 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

alf
Site Admin

Re: The board, the notation is not compatible with all themes

Post by alf » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi Tuan,

Thanks for reporting this problem.

I have used some of the fonts from http://www.enpassant.dk/chess/fonteng.htm before in DHTML Chess. It' s a very good site. I will look into using font's instead of images.

But for now, I have addressed this issue in a new version 1.0.76.

The problem is caused by CSS rules defined by the theme. The theme instructs the browser to show images with "block" style with margin above and below. We don't want that for the figurine images.

If you're able to override your css in WordPress admin(Theme->Customize), you should be able to solve it by adding this css code:

Code: Select all

div.dhtml-chess-notation-panel img{
    display:inline;
    margin:0;
    padding:0;
}
or the one below if the one above does not work.

Code: Select all

div.dhtml-chess-notation-panel img{
    display:inline !important;
    margin:0 !important;
    padding:0 !important;
}
Best regards,
Alf

Idochesswork

Post by Idochesswork » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi Alf,
I tried, and it work great!
Thank you very much for pointing out the issue, and great instruction :)

Idochesswork

Post by Idochesswork » Tue May 09, 2017 10:15 am

Hi Alf,

I got the problem, pretty sure with my theme's css.
When I'm in Toggle mode, the figurine didn't show up in the movelist panel, just only square's name.
Here I attach a screenshot.
http://prntscr.com/f5rrrz

And by the way, is there a way to present a chessboard with Toggle mode is already on, with out hitting the toggle button? I want to apply it to some basic checkmate training, whereas I give out a position with only White King, White Queen and Black King. User would try their best to checkmate.

Thank you, Alf
Warm regards,
Tuan Long

alf
Site Admin

Post by alf » Tue May 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Tuan,

Thanks for reporting this.

There's an animation in your theme which modifies the opacity of all images inside your posts(to opacity 0, which means invisible).

I have made an update to the default WordPressChess css which should fix this. It will be available in the next update which will be available soon.

---
Alf

Idochesswork

Post by Idochesswork » Wed May 10, 2017 8:48 am

Hi Alf,

The problem is gone now! Thank you very much :)