Request for a feature

Ask questions regarding general use of DHTML Chess
chessnagar

Request for a feature

Post by chessnagar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi Admin,
The tactics/opening trainer, play with computer needs a piece to be dragged to the desired location. Another feature that will be useful is, touch a piece and click on the location where it needs to move. This feature might be useful on mobile devices.

Thanks

alf
Site Admin

Re: Request for a feature

Post by alf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:28 pm

I will put the from-click/to-click feature on my todo list.

The drag'n drop should work on both mobile and desktop devices.

chessnagar

Post by chessnagar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:18 pm

Other features worth considering are: When a tactic puzzle is completed (same case with opening training also), it popups a window and the user has to press ok to continue to next puzzle.
(1) It will be good to provide a toggle on/off button for the popup so that the user can auto advance to the next puzzle upon completion of the current puzzle.
(2) User may want to see the previous puzzle (because either he liked it or surprised or whatever the reason)..so going back to the previous puzzle for review might be also good. So having a button to load the previous puzzle might be interesting. (This I do often whenever I see an interesting or surprising puzzle)
(3) Some times, user may want to start over and redo the puzzle half through solving it (this I do often when I do 6-7 step combinations/puzzle and when I am stuck or wrong in the middle. The reason I do is to visualize again starting from the beginning).
(4) Also ability to see the board from both black/white perspective for the tactics/opening training (enabling this feature may also need a feature to display whose turn is to move)

Thanks

alf
Site Admin

Post by alf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:52 pm

Very good suggestions. It will be implemented.

chessnagar

Post by chessnagar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Thanks Alf for considering the requests.

Another feature might worth considering is something like shown in the below url, when we load games from database and select a game...it should display the moves along with the annotation there by making it like a book reading. You already have the "tournament" view but the view is under the chess board, so if we can move the "tournament" view to the side next to the board (right or left) and then display the moves+annotations...that will be great feature to have.

http://www.chessnagar.com/cgames.html

Also, at present is there a way to increase the width of the moves and show the annotations with the PGN shortcode?

Hey.....if you noticed that site is using your chess work from the previous releases.

Best Regards.

alf
Site Admin

Post by alf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:49 am

I will work on some more templates for tournaments/database views.

I'm also thinking about how you can create your own templates from wp admin. I haven't landed on a solution for that yet, but it would be a great feature to have. It's a bit complicated, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right before I start working on it.

chessnagar

Post by chessnagar » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:35 am

Hi Alf:
Thanks for Adding the "Previous" option to the tactics. It is working for the first time when the user presses previous and then loading the same (Previous) again when we press Previous after few new tactics. Looks like the variable is holding the same "Previous" game index (forever) from the first time Previous is pressed.

When you have time, please look into this.

Thanks

alf
Site Admin

Post by alf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:24 am

Hi :)

I'm not able to reproduce this problem. Do you have the random property turned on for your tactic puzzles?, i.e. [chess random=1....]

If yes, that may be the reason. Previous only works when the puzzles are loaded in sequence.

chessnagar

Post by chessnagar » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Yes, with the random, it is not working. We need to fix this issue. Because every time user loads the page, the same puzzles are loaded so it is a repetition, users prefer random loading of puzzles (unless there is a text box to skip certain number of sequential puzzles and start from there).

So for tactics, we need both random as well as sequential. In both the cases, user might want to go back to the previous puzzle and spend more time on the previous puzzle...because sometimes some puzzles are thought provoking and needs a revisit.

Please consider to fix it or please provide a way to skip certain number of sequential puzzles.

alf
Site Admin

Post by alf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:50 pm

I will look into it.

It's not as straight forward with random puzzles since you can't just do +1 and -1 for going to next and previous.

I need to implement some kind of history. Absolutely doable, so I will put it on my todo list.